CVS layout proposal

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Jul 15 16:11:53 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:00:46 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Some thoughts on CVS and stuff. All these are things that should/might
> be done somewhere around the final release date.
>
> IMO our CVS has become a bit of a mess. Some things are bundled, some
> are not, some are called xfce4-* some are not. I'll make some
> suggestions here to improve our CVS layout. Please comment.

I agree.

> directory layout:
>
> * rename toplevel directories:
>   xfce-stable -> xfce3, xfce-devel -> xfce4
>
> * rename libxfcegui4 to libxfce4gui : non-trivial, because all modules
>   must be updated. Although it does not affect its working I find the
>   different naming compared to the other libs rather annoying. Perhaps
>   it's just me ;-)
>
> * Other renames:
>   xfce4 -> xfce4-panel
>   xfce-utils -> xfce4-utils
>   xfce-mcs-* -> xfce4-mcs-*
>   xfdesktop -> xfce4-desktop
>   xfprint ->xfce4-print
>

> module bundling:
>
> * xfce-utils. This module doesn't entirely work for me; it either
>   contains  too much or too little. A possible solution:
>   rename to xfce4-common and move the taskbar to a separate module
>   (xfce4-taskbar?). Then it only contains things that are used by more
>   than  one other module (scripts, xfrun) or deal with the desktop
>   environment as  a whole (docs, xfce4-about).
>
> * xfce4-toys: only contains xfce4-tips and xfce4-eyes plugin.
> Splitting
>   up  would be better, I think.
>
> * We could make an xfce4-panel-plugins module with all plugins in
>   extras.  Don't know about that. We could also move them to the new
>   xfce4-goodies repository if that becomes availabe.

One concern is that we seem to be tieing ourselves to '4'. What if we
decide to start version 5 based on the same codebase?

Secondly, we need to organise the module structure so that new modules
can easily be categorised.

Why not:

xfce3/

	[whatever is the current structure]

xfce/
	base/
		xfce-wm/
		xfce-panel/
		xfce-desktop/
		[...]
	extras/
		xfce-panel-plugins/
		xfce-dock/
		[other desktop tools]
	apps/
		xfce-calendar
		xfce-calculator
		xfce-editor
		xfce-kitchen-sink

Humm, after typing that, I'm starting to think that 'xfce-foo' is a
little unwieldy -- perhaps 'xffoo' would be better.

> CVS branches:
>
> * I'd like to start using CVS branches properly after the 4.0
>   release. HEAD for devel, named branch for bugfix releases, e.g HEAD
>   for 4.1.x, xfce_4_0_branch for 4.0.x releases.

Definitely!

-- b