CVS layout proposal

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Tue Jul 15 14:48:18 CEST 2003

El mar, 15-07-2003 a las 03:00, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> Hey,
>
> Some thoughts on CVS and stuff. All these are things that should/might
> be done somewhere around the final release date.
>
> IMO our CVS has become a bit of a mess. Some things are bundled, some
> are not, some are called xfce4-* some are not. I'll make some
> suggestions here to improve our CVS layout. Please comment.
>

> directory layout:
>
> * rename toplevel directories:
>   xfce-stable -> xfce3, xfce-devel -> xfce4
>
> * rename libxfcegui4 to libxfce4gui : non-trivial, because all modules
>   must be updated. Although it does not affect its working I find the
>   different naming compared to the other libs rather annoying. Perhaps
>   it's just me ;-)
>
> * Other renames:
>   xfce4 -> xfce4-panel
>   xfce-utils -> xfce4-utils
>   xfce-mcs-* -> xfce4-mcs-*
>   xfdesktop -> xfce4-desktop
>   xfprint ->xfce4-print
>

> module bundling:
>
> * xfce-utils. This module doesn't entirely work for me; it either
>   contains  too much or too little. A possible solution:
>   rename to xfce4-common and move the taskbar to a separate module
>   (xfce4-taskbar?). Then it only contains things that are used by more
>   than  one other module (scripts, xfrun) or deal with the desktop
>   environment as  a whole (docs, xfce4-about).
>
> * xfce4-toys: only contains xfce4-tips and xfce4-eyes plugin. Splitting
>   up  would be better, I think.
>
> * We could make an xfce4-panel-plugins module with all plugins in
>   extras.  Don't know about that. We could also move them to the new
>   xfce4-goodies repository if that becomes availabe.
>

> CVS branches:
>
> * I'd like to start using CVS branches properly after the 4.0
>   release. HEAD for devel, named branch for bugfix releases, e.g HEAD
>   for 4.1.x, xfce_4_0_branch for 4.0.x releases.
>

> What do you think?

Although the renaming of directories seems in order, the idea of having
separate branches with active code has been tried before (see
xfce-stable & xfce-devel). What happened back then was that xfce-devel
rapidly fell into disuse. My 0.02 cents is that static tarballs for
releases is the best for end users. CVS is for developers and users
wishing to help with development by testing and submitting bug reports.

Edscott