xfce4-session won't make (or make rpm)- CVS 030712

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 13 11:00:40 CEST 2003

Hey:

Thanks. (D! that was fast!!!)

Benny, if I may call you Benny, I appreciate the view about gtk+-2.2.x.
 There have been many bug fixes since 2.0 and it appears to be a good
thing to upgrade.  I had planned on it during beta1 but because
fontconfig screwed up so many different things, I backed off.  I am
glad I did because this release has been promised to work for 2.0.6 and
now I can test for that, too.

Do not worry too much about future releases and compatibility as I, and
probably many others will be upgrading the system to a new release long
before XFce4 ever gets to the 4.2(or whatever) beta stage.  Just don't
forget about us until then - there are a lot of us even if I am the
only one here testing & reporting with 2.0.6.

I look forward to using any/all your software. You have done a great
job, in my humble opinion.

However, I still have a little problem with make rpm for the 0.24
targz:

/usr/lib/libxfcegui4.so: undefined reference to
`gdk_screen_get_default'
/usr/lib/libxfcegui4.so: undefined reference to `GDK_SCREEN_XSCREEN'

???
That same error is in iconbox, BTW; and, ithink, in xfcalendar, too.

I do have all the new -devel required builds installed and I checked
/usr/lib - they are *new* files(well, the date is new).
--- Benedikt Meurer <Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 13, Jul 2003, Ric wrote:
>
> > Hi Benedikt, :)
>
> Hey Ric,
>
> > xfce4_session-xfce_trayicon.o: In function
> `xfce_tray_icon_reconnect':

/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/CVS/xfce-devel/xfce4-session/xfce4-session/xfce_trayicon.c:182
> > : undefined reference to `gdk_screen_get_default'

/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/CVS/xfce-devel/xfce4-session/xfce4-session/xfce_trayicon.c:182
> > : undefined reference to `GDK_SCREEN_XSCREEN'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > make[2]: *** [xfce4-session] Error 1
>
> Fixed.
>
> > Could you please fix and upload to your website( when you get a
> chance,
> > ma?ana  ) so that I(we) can build and run/test it on (ancient)
> > system(s) that still run(s) with gtk+-2.0.6 ?  ( OR - is it
> something I
> > can fix here? )
>
> A fixed tarball is up.
>
> > make[1]: Entering directory
> > `/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/CVS/xfce-devel/xfce4-session/po'
> > make[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `.././xfce4-session/tray-icon.c',
> > needed by `xfce4-session.pot'.  Stop.
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/.../XFCE4/targz/TEST/CVS/xfce-devel/xfce4-session/po'
> > make: *** [distdir] Error 1
>
> Yep, a leftover. Fixed :-)
>
> > BTW, am I the only one testing this XFce4 release for gtk+-2.0
> > compatibility?
>
> FYI: I consider gtk+ 2.0 to be out-of-date, and I will drop support
> for gtk 2.0 right after 4.0. Why? Because I hate the stupid hacks we
> introduce just to get along with broken systems. Anyway, I'll try to
> keep xfce4-session compatible with gtk+ 2.0 until 4.0 is released.
> >From that day on, you'll need 2.2 to compile xfce4-session.
>
> Anyway. Thanks for the bug report.
>
> > Ric
>
> Benedikt
>
> --

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Do not take yourself too seriously.  Nobody else does. :)