xfce4-session won't make (or make rpm)- CVS 030712

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Jul 13 10:37:22 CEST 2003

On Sun, 13, Jul 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Benny,

Olivier,

> You just can decide and force people to upgrade. Believe me, if you drop
> gtk+-2.0 support, quite a few people will drop xfce as a whole...

I'm tired of adding workarounds. My primary code writing policy is: No
hacks, no workarounds! Its not up to XFce to provide work-arounds for
linux systems with broken Gnome/GTK+, but its the job of that linux
systems to fix their installation. GTK+ 2.2 has been around for quite
some time now, and even Gnome dropped 2.0 compatibility recently, so I
think its OK to drop it as well. I understand the reason for 4.0 to be
compatible with gtk+ 2.0, but from that point on, everybody who wants
to use latest CVS version has to have 2.2 (or even 2.4), atleast for
the session manager.

To get things clear: GTK+ 2.2.0 was released on Sun, 22 Dec 2002
18:34:55 -0500 (EST). Thats really enough time to upgrade (and I
expect people, that want to use a bleeding edge XFce version, to be
able to install a 7 month-old software dependency).

I don't want to force anyone to anything. If somebody do not want to
install 2.2, he/she can stay with the 4.0-release and gtk+-2.0. But if
you want anything beyond 4.0-release, you'll need gtk+-2.2.

It isn't that hard anyway. Just keep your gtk+-2.0, and install
gtk+-2.2 in /usr/local or whatever location, and force XFce to look in
/usr/local. Easy, without breaking anything.

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Benedikt

--