Related problem: Different Wallpapers for Different Workspaces?

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 12 03:17:13 CEST 2003

Hi:

--- Todd Slater <dontodd at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Ric!
>
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
> Ric <fhj52ads at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Todd, again!
> > You did not misunderstand - I appreciate the tip.
> > Menumaker did not work here with Deskmenu initially.
> > I was tired last night & ...
> >
> > But, today, Oleg ask me to try it (he could not get it to work
> either)
> > so I did and finally got it running; Also have  chbg  running!
> > Active menu also works nicely too.
> > Too bad I cannot run xfdesktop too. :(
> >
> > There was a little problem here:  Desktop.py has "workplaces" but
> > needs to be "workspaces" to  generate 'workspaces' for .deskmenurc
> so
> > it will get the work spaces listed in the menu. The MenuMaker
> default
> > "workplaces=Workplaces" did not work.
>
> I just discovered that today, too!
> >
> > I could not get more than one sublevel working with DeskMenu last
> > night.  Are you using deskmenu-1.4.0-2.tar.gz (from link you gave)
> and
> > if so, how did you get 3 levels of submenus? i.e, How does the
> submenu
> > command nest? ( I tried that but must have done something wrong. )
>
> This may be the issue, Ric. I'm using 1.4.0. Part of my menu looks
> like
> this (just tried it to see if it would work at home):
>
> submenu=GNOME
> submenu=Editors
> menuitem=GNOME editor:/usr/bin/gedit
> endmenu=
>
> submenu=Shells
> menuitem=Nautilus:/usr/bin/nautilus
> endmenu=
>
> submenu=Internet
> submenu=Mail
> menuitem=Sylpheed:/usr/local/bin/sylpheed
> endmenu=
> menuitem=gFTP:/usr/bin/gftp
> menuitem=Gabber:/usr/bin/gabber
> endmenu=
>
> and there are several others before the GNOME submenu ends.

That's the way I did it, I think - must have used spaces or something
else wrong. Fortunately, menumaker(Oleg) was smarter than I.

> Now I'm afraid to ever update DeskMenu!

I can relate to that.  I'll have a backup, JIC.  ;-)
I hope  xfdesktop  gets a little friendlier so 'background painters'
(like chbg) can work with it too. In the meantime, I am exploring the
menu to see what I do not ever use and can remove from the system...

c-ya & thanks again for the deskmenu tip.

> Todd

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric