xfce4 development

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Wed Jan 29 05:02:34 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 21:33, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Lonnie,
> > FWIW, i agree 100%.  I honestly can't see XFCE4 getting serious acceptance
> > if there is no session management, especially when XFCE3 has/had it.
> > Removing functionality from a product, be it software or oven mitts, is
> > usually the fastest way to loose your customer base.
>
> xfce3 never had session management. xfwm was taking care of restoring apps after
> a logout/logon, but that's not real session management. It would have not worked
> with remote apps, for example.

I think the best approach for this would be to get some existing session
manager to work with xfce4. When we start on the default startup scripts
we should look at making xsm or gnome-session working properly with
XFce4. This should be a low priority and only if many people can't live
without session management.

Since SM is standards based, the inability to work with these session
managers indicates that there *may* be a bug in our session management
library.

I think session management merits testing at some point.

-- b