xfce4 development

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Jan 28 20:57:28 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 14:36, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> No way :) A major part of the feel of xfce3 was the setup dialog. This
> has completely changed. And I mean completely.

	No, I don't think that the setup dialog was a significant part of
running xfce3.  By that I mean that if something new was substituted for
it in xfce3 there would be no problems adjusting.

> As for the panel behaviour, well, yes it still has the panel launchers
> the non-hierarchical (?) popup menus, a clock and a desktop switcher, so
> the default configuration should be rather familiar.

	Yes.  I really like the way you kept the "standard" look but added so
much more configurability.

> But with the extra features like vertical mode, panel plugins and a
> graphical pager the interaction with the panel is also necessarily a bit
> different.

	More features aren't the issue.  More is better.  But it should be able
to be configured to be as close to xfce3 as it can be.

> Of course I tried to keep things simple, like xfce3, so hopefully I
> succeeded somewhat, but a smooth transition may be a bit much to ask :)

	If I can install xfce4 and have it work like (i.e. do what I normally
do to get my work done, not necessarily look like or function like)
xfce3 then the transition will be considered smooth.

--
"It's time to KISS your BOT goodBYYYYYYEEEEEE!!!!!"
                -- Metabee, 'Medabots'