xfce4 development

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Tue Jan 28 11:49:35 CET 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:29:54 +0100 (CET)
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi Botsie,
>
> > * Minimised window icons: I don't use the taskbar, and selecting
> > from a menu is awkward. This is the one thing preventing me from
> > using XFDesktop.
>
> That one should not be much work, given that Thomas has already done
> the job in the filer :)

Although you won't be able to copy everything, since rox uses its own
icon handling code.

We can just content ourselves with buttons containing a GtkImgage and a
GtkLabel. Icon and label can be obtained from the netk lib.

> > * Some kind of configurable desktop menu.
>
> Yes.

Well, it's easy enough to make a simple xfdeskmenu parser and add it to
xfdesktop.

VFolder is probaly too far away for inclusion in 4.0 (personal
esitmate).

> > * Any others? These the ones that bug me ...
>
> Keyboard shorcuts. I should take care of that with xfwm4 since it
> already grabs a bunch of keys anyway.

Yeah I thought of that too. It almost needs to be xfwm4 that handles
this to prevent race conditions I guess (?).

One thing missing from xfce4 that is currently in xfce3 is sounds. Not a
big thing, not for me anyway since I always turned it off :)

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net