xfce4 panel

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Mon Jan 27 15:26:18 CET 2003

Hi,

I'm taking this to -dev now.

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:06:20 -0500
Jonathan Gardner <gardnerj at allvantage.com> wrote:

> On Monday, the 27th day of January, in the year of our Lord 2003, at
> 02:16 PM the esteemed person of letters, Jasper Huijsmans quoth:
>
> JH> sorry, xfdeskmenu is rather useless in combination with xfdesktop,
> JH> since the latter program uses its own fullscreen background
> JH> window, meaning mouseclicks never reach the X root window.
> JH> xfdeskmenu listens to mouse clicks on the X root window, so that
> JH> won't work.
>
> Could this in part explain there weirdness I've been experiencing with
> aterm transparency? I had a short thread going on about it on the
> xfce4-dev list, It's the strangest thing, but while the sidebar is
> showing transparency correctly. Perhaps what the body of aterm is
> showing through is the root window, where there is no image as you say
> xfdesktop sits on top of the root window as a full screen background
> window. I know the transparency works correctly when I use xfbd4 but
> not xfdesktop. Gnome-terminal works correctly no matter what and while
> it's pretty and has nice tabs, I don't really think its worth the 10x
> memory usage of aterm. I've had my suspicions that aterm was looking
> right through the background image.

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. What xfdesktop does is set
a Atom property on the X root window (_XROOTPIXMAP_ID) that point to
the pixmap used for the background. I still does that, so I think aterm
should work, but I have seen some strange things myself as well.

Anyway, there is a difference between how xfbd and xfdesktop handle the
image: xfbd sets a 2nd property (ESETROOT_PMAP_ID), making a copy of the
pixmap. I'm not sure if I should add this to xfdesktop. I didn't think
it was necessary.

Does anyone have a better understanding of how this is suposed to work?

	Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.freenode.net