New xfwm4

Thomas Leonard tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 15:52:10 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:06:09PM +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > Yes, I understand what it's trying to do, I just want to turn it off ;-)
> > I'd like to have xfwm4 using mcs for its own stuff, but let ROX-Session
> > handle XSettings (ie, have running xfwm4 ONLY do window manager things).
> > I guess anyone wanting to run xfwm4 in GNOME, etc, would have the same
> > problem.
>
> Actually, it's what it does right now, it just doesn't replace the
> existing XSettings manager and display warnings about that... Maybe it
> should be less verbose, or maybe your startup script could redirect the
> messages to /dev/null for ROX users :)

Somehow, hiding all errors doesn't appeal ;-) Also, it still tries to take
over the mouse (since that isn't an XSetting). What would be really good
is if running 'xfwm4' only tries to have any effect on window management.
Running the mcs manager separately could turn on all the other bits.

> > Of course, once new-conf is implemented we can share the settings and the
> > user can configure things from either, but that's quite a way off :-(
>
> Yes, humm, it must prove to be suitable first :) I don't feel like using
> a "gaz factory" as we say in french :)

I don't think we have much say over whether GTK+ adopts it (if GTK stops
using XSettings, then ROX-Session must change too).

Thanks,

--
Thomas Leonard			http://rox.sourceforge.net
tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk		tal197 at users.sourceforge.net