xfce4-panel bug

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Sun Feb 23 15:18:58 CET 2003

On 23 Feb 2003 14:58:32 +0100
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> As a side effect, I changed the design in a way that prevents apps to
> position themselves above the top border (for example, xmms will not
> go under the taskbar anymore) - For X11 programmers, xfwm4 now checks
> the requested position on XConfigureRequest events.
>
> Unfortunately, this has also a side effect on the panel itself, since
> it's an app like any other, it's not able to put itself above the top
> border. That means that the use of struts to prevent windows to
> overlap the panel won't work when the panel in placed on the upper
> side of the screen.

err, I don't follow completely. Does this mean a program cannot set
itself in the strut area of another program?

This would mean the margins code could be moved to the panel. Am I
right? This kinda sucks, because then I couldn't put the panel in line
with gkrellm anymore, for instance.

Or is it only for the top of the screen?

Also, I don't know if this is still the case, xfwm doesn't seem to take
the panel into account when positioning other windows. Because that
would go a long way to solve the margins problem, if other windows
would not normally cover the panel area, unless there is limited space
or an application specifically requestst to do so.

	Jasper