Xffm comments

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Feb 21 15:06:58 CET 2003

El vie, 21-02-2003 a las 03:54, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> Just a few things I noticed with xffm.
>
> o There's no 'remove' in the right-click menu. I feel this is one of the
> most-used operations so IMO it should be in the toplevel menu:
>
> Cut
> Copy
> ====
> Remove
> ====

Agreed (also rename, duplicate and symlink). This is what I have in
mind, considering that multiple application registration will be
possible:

[directories popup]

refresh
show hidden
--
open in xffm
open in terminal
open with ->
   Choose application
   open with registered 1
   open with registered 2
   open with registered n
--
cut
copy
paste
collect trash
--
remove
duplicate
rename
symlink
touch
new
scramble/unscramble
Attributes ->
   register
   diskusage
   sort ascending
   subsort by filetype
   sort by name
   sort by date
   sort by size
   sort by owner
   sort by group
   zoom in
   zoom out
Find
properties

[the sort method, and icon size should be save from session to session]
[file popup slightly different:]

full preview [only for images or textfiles]
refresh
show hidden
--
open in xffm
open in terminal
open with ->
   Choose application
   open with registered 1
   open with registered 2
   open with registered n
--
cut
copy
--
remove
duplicate
rename
symlink
touch
new
print
scramble/unscramble
Attributes ->
   register
   diskusage
   sort ascending
   subsort by filetype
   sort by name
   sort by date
   sort by size
   sort by owner
   sort by group
   zoom in
   zoom out
Find
properties

[popup for multiple selections:]

Cut
copy
remove
scramble/unscramble
touch

> o Right-clicking on a file selects the item in the tree, but doesn't
> update the status bar. Consequently, the main file menu has most of its
> options greyed out. However, when you first select another file, the
> main file menu is updated and when you then right-click on a file and
> select remove from the main file menu, the correct file is being deleted
> (the one selected in the tree), but the status bar still shows the other
> file. I hope that made sense.

Gotcha. Wow, that was quite a hidden bug. I'll take care of it.

> o Icons in the main menu bar are rather unusual. They look ok, when only
> using the menu bar, but it seems a bit much if you also use one or more
> toolbars.

You caught me not using the toolbars! Keyboard shortcuts make life
easier. Although I still don't know how to expand directories with the
return key. And ideas appreciated.

Edscott