xfce4-panel and xfwm4 now feature startup notification support.

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Feb 10 13:05:42 CET 2003

Hi all,

I've been working pretty hard to get freedesktop.org standard startup
notification in xfce4-panel and xfwm4. It's now in CVS.

You must first get the base library from

  http://www.freedesktop.org/software/startup-notification/

(version 0.4 minimum) and install it on you system prior to compile
xfce4-panel and xfwm4

You will also need the latest libxfcegui4 version .16 from CVS.

Note that not all applications work with the startup notification
protocol, only the GTK-2.2 based applications (latest KDE 3.1 doesn't
seem to be compatible). For example, it won't work with xterm, since it
doesn't link to the startup notification lib. But it will work out of
the box for xffm as long as you have GTK+-2.2 installed.

That's why I've added a new checkbutton to the panel launcher that
enable/disable startup notification per item (and for mail check too)

xfwm4 show startup notification by using a neat spinning cursor. This is
very nice when using XFree 4.3 because the cursor is animated (depends
on the cursor theme you use, though)

Hope you enjoy this last minute addition...

Note: Jasper, I've also fixed a few memory leaks in the panel. That
worries me a bit, because everywhere I look, I find leaks :)

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org