Status of xfce4

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Fri Feb 7 15:49:19 CET 2003

On 07 Feb 2003 19:28:47 +0530
Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 19:02, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> >
> > Botsie, how long to you think the menu stuff will take ?
>
> The menu can go out as is. It depends on whether a menu editor is a
> priority for this release or not.

If at all possible I think it should be in the release. As you said
earlier it's not nice making people edit xml files by hand.

> One feature which, IMHO, is critical which we haven't started on is
> minimized app icons. I'm not sure how long that would take since I
> haven't looked at the problem yet.

I don't think I can find the time to implement this soon. IMO it's not
'critical' since we do have the taskbar (yeah, I know you don't like it
:).

Also I can't estimate well how much time it would take to implement
this. The general idea of how it should work are pretty clear: A
GtkFixed container inside the background window. Buttons for every
minimized app. You have to keep track of all windows using netk lib and
hide / show buttons as necessary.

The hard part is probaly in the details: you have to remember the
position of an icon, what to do if that position is taken by another
icon, do you use a different container for each workspace, etc.

We can of course look at the ROX pinboard implementation, but I don't
know how much of that is tied to rox internals.

	Jasper