XFDesktop configurable menu

Biju Chacko biju_chacko at vsnl.net
Tue Feb 4 17:33:31 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 21:25, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > The xml format is pretty self evident, I'll write a DTD later. If you
> > can't figure it out, drop me or the list a line.
> >

> Well, we don't really need that, do we? Unless we're not going to
> validate menus before parsing them ...

A clear specification will help documentation writers, amongst other
things.

> The default file is a bit ambiguous though:
>
> <app name="Terminal" cmd="xterm" in-term="no" icon="xterm.png"/>
> <app name="Midnight Commander" cmd="mc" term="yes"/>
>
> ^^ term or in-term? (term would be better). Also it doesn't have to be
> human readable, so "y" and "n" or even "1" and "0" are perhaps faster to
> parse ... nah, on second thought, that won't make much difference (I'm
> talking to my self, is that a sign of insanity? :).

Oh Bugger! I need to fix that. Only term="yes" | "no" will work. Default
is no.

> > A XFDeskmenu to XFDesktop converter is in the works and should be done
> > tomorrow.
>
> Cool, but not that important.

That's true ... but it isn't much work, and would be generally useful.

> > A menu editor is a substantially bigger job, but is also on my TODO
> > list. I think it may be necessary to have it ready for this release
> > because I think people will howl if they are told they have to edit an
> > xml file by hand to configure their menu.
>
> This would be really good to have.

Definitely needs to be done.

> > As always, the usual caveats apply: I have *no idea* of what I'm
> > doing, but it works for me. YMMV. :-)
>
> Pretty good results for random typing ;-)

You know what they say ... put 10,000 monkeys on 10,000 typewriters and
one of 'em's gonna write 'Hamlet'. I'm a code monkey! ;-)(How do you
think windows was written?)

-- b