Xfdesktop

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 24 17:58:37 CEST 2003

Hi zhu qun-ying:

Been there:
The only way at this time is to not run xfdesktop or to run xfdesktop and then
kill it some seconds later after it provides workspace names for the
switcher(if you use the switcher).

If you do not have one, create a ~/.xfce4/xinitrc file and ## coment-out the
xfdesktop line.
You will lose all the xfdesktop functions of course so you will probably also
need  deskmenu  and  menumaker  to get the desktop-clickable menus back.

Both deskmenu and menumaker work quite nicely (on Mandrake 9) ...

If you only want a static image on the desktop, you can have the ap write the
output to a file, if the ap will do that. The xfdesktop background setting can
then be set to read that file which it will do only once - will not update
automatically.  You can manually update the image via the settings control or
perhaps hack something to force an update...

--- zhu qun-ying <qunying at yahoo.com> wrote:
> hi,
> I comiled xfce4-rc2 a few days b4 for Slackware 9. I found that the
> Xfdesktop program cover's the root window. So normal X program trying
> to draw on the root window has no effect, like xearth and xsnow. Is
> there a way to leave the root window alone without setting the
> background color or image?
>
> Other than that, I found Xfce4 is a very nice peace of work!
>
> ;)

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Thought for today:
Gardening tip:
The preferred targets of yellow jackets are sweet fruit such as strawberries,
blueberries, tree fruit, melons and the gardeners who tend them. Damage signs
include holes in ripe fruit and a buzzing noise followed by a sharp pain.
-- GardenGuides.com