XFce4: X-screensaver bug

Paleo sonicadmin at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 19 23:51:46 CEST 2003

OK, I brought this up in my HOWTO. Although I removed it from the document, it
is something that still effects XFce4.

When I log into a shell as root to execute a script the screen blanks out and
an xscreensaver session pops up.

It's not a deal killer, and it's actually easy enough to get rid of. You
simply move the mouse to gain the window focus back. This makes me wonder if
it is indeed a dormant session of root running in the background. If so, I
would think that this is a serious security issue.

You can get the screen saver to quit popping up by editing the "test $UID"
line in the /etc/xfce4/xinitrc file. Simply look for the following line and
place a hash (#) in front of it:

	# Launch xscreensaver  (if available), but only as non-root user
	test $UID -gt 0 && xscreensaver -no-splash &

Ilkka, have you experienced this behavior with SuSE 8.2?

Thanks,

Robert