A HOWTO document & Bug to report

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Tue Aug 19 12:09:05 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 03:08, Ilkka Ollakka wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:56:35PM -0500, Scott Jones wrote:
> > On Monday 18 August 2003 13:49, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > > I can't really believe this is required. Surely the path for the
> > > display manager is not limited to /usr/X11R6/bin?
> >
> > No, it isn't.  SuSE does, however, tend to put or symlink window
> > manager startup scripts there.
>
> There's two ways that suse uses to make those menus for display
> managers. gdm/wdm/xdm(not tested) uses wmlist script from
> /usr/X11/bin/ which test which windowmanagers exists in path,and
> generates menus based on that script (quite a simple script,I like it

It's been a while since I've played with it, but IIRC, wmlist only looks
in /usr/X11R6/bin for the wm's in its list.

> allready ;) . kdm seems to use it own kdmrc, and haven't found any
> other way to add windowmanager to kdm,than adding it to SessioType
> field on kdmrc.

Same here.  It can be done manually, of course, in the KDE control
center, but automation would be nice too.  I've previously posted a
script that takes care of it, but I admit that it could be done better,
as I suck at scripting.

> I made some hacking on suse rpm's postins scripts last night and made
> preliminary support on xfce-utils that add XFce4 on those
> kdm/wdm/gdm/xdm menus.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that.

--
Scott Jones