MCS UI Plugin: Font Selection

Ric fhj52ads at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 13:01:00 CEST 2003

It is not just that, something else is going on with displaying the
list of available fonts.

In preparation for the great GTK+2.2.x and fontconfig implementation, I
have fontconfig 2.1 installed(2.2 soon, I hope) and have investigated
this a bit more.

It is not just the Settings/UI/ fonts display dialog in error because
other some other aps do the same thing.  E.g., the
gnome-font-properties  font selection dialog also _refuses_ to list
some of the fonts even if the paths are correct( IOW,  fc-list  shows
that the font is recognized by fc(fontconfig) but the font is
unavailable as a selection.  ).

Certain fonts just are not available in the selection lists and IDK
why...

Furthermore, a substitution can occur even if the font is in the
fc-list  list and is also displayed in the Settings/UI fonts list.
(e.g., somehow  Zurich Blk BT:style=Black Italic -12pt gets a " Zurich
Italic " -10pt substitution at startup/login which is not Black(bold)
or even "Zurich" ...)
That, IMO, should not happen...

/me thinks "fontconfig" maybe s/b "fontconfog"  :)

--- Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> Hi Botsie,
>
> I guess by default gtk2 is not using std X fonts nor xfs, it's using
> fontconfig.
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.
>
> On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 05:13, Biju Chacko wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:51:57 +0200, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> >
> > > This is really your install, not xfce4. The MCS UI plugin simply
> calls
> > > the stock font dialog from gtk2.
> > >
> > > Depending on your install, you may want to check that your fonts
> are
> > > listed in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf if you have fontconfig installed
> or
> > > /etc/X11/XftConfig if your install still use the old Xft 1.x font
> system
> > > that shipped with stock XFree86 4.2.0
> >
> > Hmmm ... this is very confusing.
> >
> > Where does XFS come into this? I have all my font directories
> listed in
> > /etc/X11/fs/config.
> >
> > Doesn't gtk2 see all the fonts served by the font server that X is
> querying?
> >
> > -- b
> --
> Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

=====
Have A Great Day!

Ric
***
Mondale knew this was gonna be a bad day when he called
Dial-a-Prayer and the taped message answered him by name.
 -- Bob Hope, 1903-2003