Other things that need to be fixed before RC3

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Aug 8 18:27:42 CEST 2003

On Fri, 08, Aug 2003, Joe Klemmer wrote:

> > Please remember, that we are an open source project and not a
> > commercial project with a fixed release date, so we have the choice of
> > making things as good as we prefer them to be.
>
> 	Uhm...  I was going to go into COB[1] mode on this and get all flamey &
> go off about 20+ years of experience and all but I'm just to sick today
> to waste the energy.
>
> 	The rational response is that the decision was made to have release
> dates (they've been posted on the web and in this list) so that is not a
> valid statement.
>
> 	Just because a project is Software Libre doesn't mean it can't follow
> some basic rules of software development.  Of what good is a wonderful
> app if no one uses it?  While there are many of us already using xfce4
> there are hundreds (maybe multiple hundreds; and no, I'm not
> exaggerating) of users who are waiting for a "stable" release.  There's
> an old saying, "Fish or cut bait."
>
> 	Make the thing work, get it out there and move on to the next level.

We are already wasting to much time with this release, I would have
released xfce 4.0 one month ago and would release 4.0.1 these days
(thats my opinion). And by the way: If we waste time to make xfce 4.0
the best possible release, I don't see the point of not using some of
this time to think about a good solution, etc. But this topic starts
to annoy me. I say: Get 4.0 out now. I think I'm not the only one
getting pissed off, and it looks like we are starting to fight each
other, which is really a bad thing(tm).

4.0 won't be a "perfect release" (we do not even want it to be perfect),
so get it out and fix bugs in 4.0.1 one or two months later.

> Joe

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/