libxfce4util i18n broken

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Thu Aug 7 11:09:41 CEST 2003

On Thu, 07, Aug 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Benny,

Olivier,

> libxfce4util i18n is broken. The file name has to be exactly the same
> ext as the locale name, which is, weel, not good.
>
> * If I set LANG=fr_FR then the filename must be named fiename.fr_FR
> * If I set LANG=fr_FR at UTF8 then the filename must be named
> filename.fr_FR at UTF8
> * If I set LANG=fr then the filename must be named fiename.C
>
> It's practically unmanageable and needs to be fixed.
>
> For me the correct behaviour should be
>
> * If lang=fr_FR at UTF8 then look for a file filename.fr_FR at UTF8, if it's
> not found, then look for  filename.fr_FR, if it's still not found then
> look for filename.fr, if it's not found, then fallback to "filename"
>
> * If lang=fr_FR then look for a file filename.fr_FR and if it's not
> found, then look for  filename.fr, if it's not found, then fallback to
> "filename"
>
> * If lang=fr then look for a file "filename.fr", if it's not found, then
> fallback to "filename"
>
> This really needs to be fixed before RC3
>
> PS:
> 1) I checked the search path passed to
> "/etc/xfce4/%F.%L:/etc/xfce4/%F.%l:/etc/xfce4/%F" which is correct.
> 2) neither xfdesktop not xfce-about i18n work anyway...

I think its a problem with your setlocale() implementation. Please try
the following program:

#include <locale.h>
int main() {
 setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL);
printf("LOCALE: %s\n", setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, NULL));
return 0; }

And tell me what that gives me for you LANG=<whatever> cases above.

regards,
Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/