Programming Startup Help

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Aug 6 03:25:33 CEST 2003

On mar, 2003-08-05 at 13:12, Paul Ladouceur wrote:
> I would like to have advice for:

Here is how I work:

> Tutorials

Hands on experience is the best. Use glade2 to generate examples and
then examine the code generated by glade2. It is by no means an example
of good coding, but it gives you a picture of what has to be done. And
if you don't have time for the good coding part, it helps you put the
gui basics behind and concentrate on the important stuff.

> Documentation
As you go along. There are so many function calls that it is not
practical to study everything before you begin. For gtk the best
resource is the api reference guide. You can download it from gtk.org,
but it is probably already included in your linux distribution. The api
guide will tell you what each function does and how to do it. Also
included should be the glib and gobject api references.

> Development environment (ex. Anjuta)

I've worked with ide's before, like Borland's, but all you need is a
good editor with syntax highlighting (I prefer gvim), an xterm, and
basic knowledge of gdb (see man gdb).

> Whatever can help me having a foot in...
>
> Is it a good way to start from an IDE or using a simple text editor?

Grab some program source code, try compiling it. Then cut out everything
you don't want and try modifying it so it will so what you want. One of
the great things about open source is that you don't have to (nor
should) start from zero.

> NB: I need C - GTK programming help...

Read through some book of basic C syntax, then study other people's
code. That will get you almost there. If you have a doubt, ask the list.
If nobody answers, it probably means that everyone is as clueless as you
are and you have to dig deeper.

regards,

Edscott