New icon theme: Carillon

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Mon Apr 21 20:39:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-04-21 at 09:06, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2003 07:44:22 -0500
> edscott wilson garcia <edscott at imp.mx> wrote:
>
> > El lun, 21-04-2003 a las 03:06, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I haven't received an answer from the author about the licence of
> > > the icons. However, considering (a) he put them on kde-look.org for
> > > everyone to download and (b) he calls them 'free as in freedom',
> > > which is clearly a reference to the FSF, I think we can safely use
> > > them.
> >
> > Hey Jasper:
> >
> > I think it would be a good idea to use the same name for the FreeIcons
> > theme in both the panel and xffm. It's not hard to change the name for
> > xffm (just need to move all files to a directory with the new name and
> > correct Makefile.am). Everybody ok with Carillon?
>
> I'll change to FreeIcons (see my reply to Olivier).
>
> > OTH, would it be a good idea to make icon theme selection for the
> > panel reflect in xffm and viceversa? (I'd have to add the Crystal,
> > Noia and Curve themes).
> >

> Yeah, I think that would be cool. Also, but that is perhaps for after
> 4.0, we have to use the freedesktop icon theme spec. Perhaps you do
> that already?

You caught me! I have no idea what the icon theme spec is... :-(

> And then there is the idea of icon themes being part of the gtk theme.
> It's in gnome 2, but I have no idea where it's set and how. Also there
> are probably some standard sizes for icons. It may be nice to use those
> for the different icon sizes, at least for the panel.

I'm using a single icon size and using gtk routines to do the resizing
from the iconfactory, using the preset icons sizes in gtk:
	case REAL_BIG:
	    gtksize = GTK_ICON_SIZE_DIALOG;
	    break;
	case BIG:
	    gtksize = GTK_ICON_SIZE_DND;
	    break;
	case MEDIUM:
	default:
	    gtksize = GTK_ICON_SIZE_LARGE_TOOLBAR;
	    break;
	case SMALL:
	    gtksize = GTK_ICON_SIZE_BUTTON;

Image preview, OTH, is arbitrarily set:
    switch (size)
    {
	default:
	    w = 48, h = 24;
	    break;
	case MEDIUM:
	    w = 68, h = 34;
	    break;
	case BIG:
	    w = 100, h = 50;
	    break;
	case REAL_BIG:
	    w = 200, h = 100;
	    break;
    }

> For 4.0 I think it would be nice to have the same themes available. I
> don't know how best to unify them or whether we should do that at all
> (making it one setting, I mean).

Me neither. But Biju's idea sounds good.

Edscott