codeset bugfixes xffm

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed Apr 9 22:43:48 CEST 2003

El mié, 09-04-2003 a las 14:32, Olivier Fourdan escribió:
> Hi Edscott,
>
> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 05:13, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> >   I think all the codeset problems you noticed have now been fixed.
>
> Well, no it's not fixed. I'll look into it if I can find any time.

Just use my_utf_string() on any non-utf8 string you find is added to the
treeview.

> > If the "ls" command works, the dates should work
>
> Again I disagree. I probably didn't make myself clear.
>
> Not all systems are UTF8. But gtk+-2.x and xfce4 are.
>
> So when extracting data from the system, it is not guaranteed that
> locales are UTF8. Taking those locales to use them directly in a gtk
> treeview can cause trouble, because the dates aren't TUF8 and the
> treeview expects strings to be UTF8. It doesn't show on systems that
> support fully UTF8, and when the locale is set to UTF8 (like in
> fr_FR.UTF8) - Just set your locale to fr_FR or fr_FR.ISO8859-1 and try
> xffm, show the dates and you'll see it's broken.
>
> What is needed is a conversion of the data from the locale encoding to
> UTF8 prior to using data in the treeview.

I *did* put something to that effect in my last commit.
src/add_file.c, line 186, should read:
DATE_COLUMN, my_utf_string(time_string(en->st->st_mtime))

OT: I haven't been able to test with LANG=fr_FR because I get:

(process:17540): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

Anybody have an idea what I have to do in order to get C library support
for additional locales?

Edscott