codeset bugfixes xffm

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Apr 9 21:32:10 CEST 2003

Hi Edscott,

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 05:13, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>   I think all the codeset problems you noticed have now been fixed.

Well, no it's not fixed. I'll look into it if I can find any time.

> If the "ls" command works, the dates should work

Again I disagree. I probably didn't make myself clear.

Not all systems are UTF8. But gtk+-2.x and xfce4 are.

So when extracting data from the system, it is not guaranteed that
locales are UTF8. Taking those locales to use them directly in a gtk
treeview can cause trouble, because the dates aren't TUF8 and the
treeview expects strings to be UTF8. It doesn't show on systems that
support fully UTF8, and when the locale is set to UTF8 (like in
fr_FR.UTF8) - Just set your locale to fr_FR or fr_FR.ISO8859-1 and try
xffm, show the dates and you'll see it's broken.

What is needed is a conversion of the data from the locale encoding to
UTF8 prior to using data in the treeview.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org