Dbug vs. no debug mode and asserts

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Apr 9 21:25:04 CEST 2003

Hi Benny,

I noticed that you commented out the checks and asserts in some modules
when no debug was selected. I also noticed that you set G_DIABLE_CHECKS
and G_DISABLE_ASSERT at compile time.

This is a really bad idea and such changes must be reverted. If people
put g_return_[val_]if_fail() and g_assert() in their code, it's on
purpose.

The point is that I prefer a program that crashes straight away rather
than a program that does unpredictable things (including potential
security holes) due to memory corruption, even when that program is
supposed to be "stable".

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org