xffm updates, i18n still broken

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Apr 8 21:52:40 CEST 2003

Hi Edscott

On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 05:16, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> I've changed it to a subroutine which checks if it is valid utf-8 before
> acting. It might work ok now.

Nope. the fix is only partial.

The messages in "Book", "Search", etc. still show wrong UTF8 (basically,
UTF8 is not treated as UTF8 and shows wrong sequence of weird
characters)

The problem is even worse in xfdiff4. I think it might come from the
libs, I'll dig into this.

Another annoying problem is that not all messages are marked for gettext
as it seems. For example, none of the entries in "Option" menu are
marked, at least, none show in the po file. This is very annoying
because translators have to redo the translations again and again, each
time new strings get marked :(

At last, I'm very annoyed with the use of all these environment
variables. What's the point of having a graphical file manager if the
user has to set a bunch of environment variables from the terminal to
get the desired behaviour ? As for using a tooltip in the menu to get
the explanation of the variable, it doesn't make sense from a GUI
usability point of view. Menu entries are to be selected, users don't
expect to wait a tooltip to get help from the menu...

As for the use of a variable to store SMB login/password, well, it's
very unsecure and I would avoid using SMB browsing in xffm if I had to.
There might be another way of doing this in xffm, but I could not find
it.

Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
http://www.xfce.org