xffm updates, i18n still broken

Benedikt Meurer Benedikt.Meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Apr 7 00:09:04 CEST 2003

On Sun, 06, Apr 2003, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Hi all,

Hello Olivier,

> However, i18n is still broken in xffm as seen on the following
> screenshot :
>
> http://www.xfce.org/archive/i18n-xffm-broken.png
>
> I set the LANG to fr_FR (I know, I did not add UTF-8 on purpose, the
> applications should set that) but some text in the treeview does not use
> UTF-8 ("Réseau", "Système") while other in the menu correctly use it
> ("Aller à").

I think it should be LC_ALL=fr_FR.ISO8859-1 instead of the LANG var (I'm
not sure about this on Linux/glibc).

I had the same problem with german umlauts, and I changed the .po file
format to be UTF-8 and used poedit to translate the stuff, and now it
seems to work (although I'm not sure its correct now).

Some gettext-guru around? ;)

> Looks like some init is broken. Still, the following lines are present
> and correct :
>
> #ifdef ENABLE_NLS
>     bindtextdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, PACKAGE_LOCALE_DIR);
>     bind_textdomain_codeset(GETTEXT_PACKAGE, "UTF-8");
>     textdomain(GETTEXT_PACKAGE);
> #endif
>
>     gtk_set_locale();
>     gtk_init(&argc, &argv);
>
> So what's wrong ? I suspect it has something to do with the use of libs
> (libxffm) - I think the bind_textdomain_codeset should be redone at lib
> init (if any) because the lib is initted by ld.so (I think). Dunno.

Since the lib is only mmap'd by the runtime linker (and has no further
initialization like e.g. with Windows DLLs), that should not be the problem.

> If anybody has an idea...

Please try if setting LC_ALL as suggested above fixes the problem.

regards,
Benedikt

    -- Henry Spencer