xsm xfwm4

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Thu Apr 3 02:01:27 CEST 2003

> In order to make xsm work, do I need to start it up
> BEFORE xfwm4? I followed the guides lines posted
> earlier and I got a bit father than before... I can
> save the session, but the client list is empty so it's
> ineffective. xfce4 apps like xfwm4, xfce4-panel, etc
> say something like "no session manager found" Any ideas?

Here's a bit more on xsm which may help you. First, edit the file /etc/X11/xsm/system.xsm and replace the 'twm' entry with xfwm4. This seems to fix the xsession error. This is a copy of the file I used.

-----cut here-----
! $Xorg: system.xsm,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:55:06 cpqbld Exp $
smproxy
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfce4-panel
-----to here-----

Please note that these two don't start from the session.xsm file. Other Xfce4 programs may be the same and this may simply be an xsm limitation. These programs run fine when started as part of the session itself.

xftaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &

Also of note, the $HOME/.xsession file. You could also run the xscreensaver from here as well as pass the default xsm session.

-----cut here-----
#!/bin/bash

# Put a # at the start of the next 2 lines if you want anti-aliased
# fonts turned off.
#
GDK_USE_XFT=1; export GDK_USE_XFT
QT_XFT=1; export QT_XFT

# =--> Set Xft DPI to match my X settings
#      when set here, xsm seems to handle the dpi better
#
echo "Xft.dpi: 84" | xrdb -merge -

# =--> Use nice Xcursor themes
#
echo "Xcursor.theme: redglass" | xrdb -merge -
echo "Xcursor.size: 20" | xrdb -merge -

exec xsm
-----to here-----

If you have been fooling around with xsm, you might wish to remove any old sessions and .xsm??? files in your $HOME directory just to be safe. This seemed to help when testing this stuff, especially the .xsm??? files which are temporary.

Also, you should notice an xfwm4-session file in the root of your $HOME if you have other apps open.

Let me know if you need more help and I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure if too many others here actually use session management. With a little work though this might be functional.

Mike T.