Status of xfce 4

BluPhoenyx quazar at dcnet2000.com
Wed Apr 2 00:09:20 CEST 2003

On 01 Apr 2003 22:43:48 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>

> On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 21:55, BluPhoenyx wrote:
> > Is this planned functionality? When working with this xsm setup I used
> > Xfwm4 as the window manager. Things worked ok for Xfce4 programs but
> > others exhibit this problem as they aren't session aware.
>
> If xfwm4 can log to a session manager, it saves the state of the desktop
> and will put windows back to their place as they reappear at next logon.

Perhaps this is something which I did wrong. I don't use session management much. There are few programs I auto-run which need such a feature. In fact, I find that it can sometimes get in the way considering the way I work.

> The session-id is used to identify the application/window, but non
> session aware apps have no such session-id. In that case, xfwm4 tries to
> use other methods to identify the window and restore the
> position/geometry. That might fail in some case (the only reliable
> method is session-id)

What about specific desktop? For example, I keep my email program running on desktop 2 and would like it to always open there.

> > Which brings up a question. Will there ever be similar functionality
> > such as version 3 where you can define window options. IE, no title or
> > sticky etc?
>
> Short answer, no.

Too bad. Those features gave me some nice control for particular programs such as a simulated full screen for Win4Lin or Vnc sessions.

Thanks,
Mike T