Minor XFce history lesson (was: Re: panel iconify buttons)

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun Sep 22 01:34:56 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 20:57, Joakim Andreasson wrote:

> On a serious note, some people use XFce because they like the CDE. And
> the CDE has some good ideas, besides the difficulties of configuration
> and some other clumsiness. Why shouldn't XFce implement the good ideas
> from CDE and let go of the bad ones?

	That was the basic idea that spawned XFce.  Olivier wanted a
CDE'like GUI and, initially, wrote a panel that ran on top of fvwm.
This was back when XFce was built from XForms (which is where the name
came from).

	Some of us COB's like XFce because it can be very CDE looking
and feeling yet is not weighed down by the bloat and junk that CDE has.
I, personally, think that XFce is so much more than CDE ever was (yet,
strangely enough, everything that CDE wanted to be).  I've only seen
very few things that CDE does than XFce doesn't and most of those are
cosmetic.

	FWIW, I believe that I was one of the first people to use XFce back in
the prehistoric days.  Now I am just here to disagree with everything.
;-)

--
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.