[XFCE4 CVS] minor updates

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Sep 18 18:22:24 CEST 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:03:16 +0200
Xavier MAILLARD <zedek at fxgsproject.org> wrote:

[...]

> >> Note that the write_config/read_config are only done once a panel
> >> session. Actually the read process is done at init time and the
> >> write_config is done when exiting the panel. This may change in not
> >so> far future. Don't report any bugs due to a no-write/read process
> >"on the> fly" whenever you quit the clock configuration dialog.
> >
> > Huh, what do you mean? User's don't notice read/write activity. It
> > is saved as often as needed and as little as possible. If not that's
> > a bug!
>
> I thought the configuration was written only once per panel "session"
> actually I thought it was only done at exiting. May I be wrong ?

It is at the moment. Do you feel there's a reason to do it more
often?

Except when you change orientation; then I save because we rebuild the
panel from scratch. This is actually completely broken, but somehow it
sort of works now.

As I said on IRC I'm going to go through the code step by step to fix
the memory management issues - well try anyway - and the dialog should
get fixed as part of that.

> >> The bugs related to display problem have not been succesfully
> >> fixed/tested for me (yet) so I prefer not to commit the things. A
> >> beginning of a solution may have been found thanks to jasper but I
> >> didn't get time to try/apply it.
> >>

> > Don't worry too much. There will be an API addition to deal with
> > variable width modules. Basically modules get the change to tell the
> > panel their minimum width and height.
> >

> If I can be of any help please don't hesitate.

Well the idea was to add a function to the PanelControl to ask for its
minimum width and height, depending on panel size and orientation:

void (*minimum_size)(PanelControl *pc, int size, int orientation, int
*width, int *height);

width and height are return parameters.

The panel can then decide on it's size.

However I can also think of an alternative 'solution' and that is to not
force a size on the panel components as I do now, but to allow all
components to set their own sizes and expecting them to behave properly.
This actually reduces code ;-)

In this scenario you have to be a bit smarter about how you pack widgets
to keep the panel consistent on resize.

Olivier what do you think about that? Is there a flaw in my reasoning
why this won't work?

[...]

Jasper

--
IRC channel: #xfce on irc.openprojects.net