[rox-devel] Re: dissappearing icons

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Mon May 13 20:39:16 CEST 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002 18:19:56 +0100
Thomas Leonard <tal00r at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 09:32:02AM -0500, Edscott Wilson Garc?a wrote:
> > On Mi? 08 May 2002 08:57, Thomas Leonard wrote:
> > >
> > > We do file icons, but we don't show iconised windows. However, I'm
> > > rewriting the pinboard code at the moment, and I'm considering
> > > adding(optional?) support for this, as it confuses newbies when
> > > their windows disappear completely...
> >
> > This would be great since it would fill in the not-yet-coded icon
> > management program for placing icons on the desktop (a la CDE) in
> > xfwm4.
>
> Right, it seems to be working now :-)
>
> CVS snapshot here:
>
> 	http://rox.sourceforge.net/snapshots/
>
> Still very experimental, but minimising a window should make an icon
> for it appear in the top-left corner of the pinboard.
>
> Anyway, it works with sawfish. Will try with xfwm4 when the automake
> errors go away ;-)

It seems to work just fine. It's pretty cool with the highlighting and
all. I don't know your plans with this, but there are a few thing that
are needed to make this really useful:
* abbreviation of the titles to the size of the icons with expansion on
  highlighting like xfwm does now.
* use aplication icons (+ allow to override)
* keep icons on one desktop (now they are present on all virtual
desktops)

Thanks for the great work,
Jasper