Xfwm 4 screen captures

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Tue May 7 21:20:42 CEST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 7 May 2002 13:15:49 -0400 (EDT)
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2002, Javanx wrote:
>
> 	First, please make sure your mail client wraps your text
> correctly.  It's difficult to read/respond to these long lines that
> aren't wrapped.

> > > 	Holy Grace Hopper!!!
> >
> > A lot of people don't like the CDE style of the Panel, I think that
> > it would be very cool to be able to use themes and things like that
> > on the panel, not just pixmaps themes and things like that but real
> > themes so that it would be possible to costumize animation when
> > launching an application, position of the buttons and clock ecc.
>
> 	As long as there is a CDE/Motif/Motif+ theme I'm happy.  There's
> 	nothing bad about having as many different looks as possible.

Frankly, Joe, I'm shocked ;-) You're really supposed to say no here, or
rather NOOOOOOOOOOO!

So, in case you won't object, I will.

Until now the similarity to CDE has been one of the defining features of
the project. I would be hesitant to throw that away too easily (mind you
I don't even know CDE myself).

Especially if the requested features of OS X are the transparancy, the
dropshadows and the dock animations it does not fit very well with the
goal of the project to be leightweight.
I'm affraid the system load will already increase a lot because of the
use of GTK2. Keeping the themeing system as simple as possible should be
a priority.

For people wanting to work with OS X-like systems wouldn't windowmaker
or even a much customized GNOME be a more suitable choice?

Anyway, these are just my opinions at the moment. I'm willing to be
convinced of other viewpoints ;-)

BTW, I'm trying to port the panel to GTK2 at the moment and I would like
to here any specific ideas about improvements to the panel or missing
feature that you can't live without or, even better, existing features
that you can't live with.

greetings,
	Jasper