Modified version of Oroborus

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at sdf.lonestar.org
Fri Mar 29 21:48:40 CET 2002

Some wm's (oroborus for instance) are simply ignoring -display parameter.
So it should be either 'DISPLAY=:1 ./oroborus' or, as you said, 'xterm
-display :1' and then ./oroborus from that xterm (xterm is smart enough to
keep DISPLAY environment in sync the -display parameter).

Also some stuff may not work properly (especially if you have another
instance running already) since it tries to write some files under $HOME.
I'm using the following technique, to create a "sandbox" for such tools:

mkdir ~/tmp/fakehome
ln -s ~/.Xauthority ~/tmp/fakehome
# you may need to link other config files/dirs here
HOME=~/tmp/fakehome ; export HOME
Xnest :1 &
DISPLAY=:1 ; export DISPLAY
start whatever you need

At least XFCE runs fine in such "sandbox". It also works fine when I need
more than one instance of Netscape 4 (of course, I'm not starting Xnest
for netscape :) just redefining HOME environment). Maybe KDE will start in
such "sandbox".

If some tool wants to read/write something to
/tmp/SOMETHING_DERIVED_FROM_YOU_LOGIN_ONLY, you may try to define TMPDIR,
but usually those tools are too dumb to pay attention to this environment
variable. :(

--
It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."