Future of Xfwm

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Mar 27 09:28:28 CET 2002

Hi Stephane,

> Do you plan to start xfwm 4 from scratch? Is there any
> fundamental flaw in xfwm 3 that that you never told us about? :-)

Nothing really bad for the user, but maintenance on xfce code is a
nughtmare due to its looooong history (xfwm is a fork of a pre-fvwm2,
which was based on fvwm1, which was based on twm, etc. etc.)

Even if the code is quite different now, there a tons of stuff that I
would like to do differently.

> I could not test oroborus yet, but I guess that the main reason
> for its very small size is lack of functionalities compared to xfwm...
> In what sense is oroborus "better" than xfwm?

The way it handles themes and shaped windows.

> Interestingly:
>
> oroborus is 4600 lines of code; xfwm 26000.
> Once compiled, I find that xfwm is ~2.5 times _smaller_
> than oroborus (same compiler, platform, aso)
>
> Funny, no?

Both being stripped ? oroborus is about 40k stripped, xfwm is about
200K.

But you are true, oroborus lack a lot of stuff that xfwm do. However,
it's a base, a style, a source of inspiration, rather than a copy/paste.

Olivier               <fourdan at xfce.org>            http://www.xfce.org
XFce is a lightweight  desktop  environment  for  various *NIX systems.
Designed for productivity,  it loads  and  executes  applications fast,
while conserving  system resources. XFce is all free software, released
under GNU General Public License.    Available from http://www.xfce.org