Synchronize watches^W autotools and xfce4 progress report

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Wed Jun 12 14:38:47 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I'm going to try and add an automake framework to my panel code. I might
need to ask some help with it. Anyway what are the versions of the autotools
I should use? If at all possible I think we should use the same versions to
limit the number of problems we encounter.

As a side note, the panel actually seems to work now. You can now change the
configuration and the changes will be saved. I have a configuration dialog
for the global panel options, modelled somewhat after the ROX options dialog
(I didn't use that, because I feel it would be a bit overkill - I have 8
options or something). I would like to hear your opinion on it.

Some things are still a bit unstable I think, but the basic functionality is
there. One thing I started to implement is support for icon themes. It's an
idea I had to allow some simple configuration.
Just like the current panel there are a number of 'standard' icons the user
can choose from (like 'Editor', 'File management', etc.); When the user
chooses a theme, xfce looks for a directory with that name in some standard
locations (~/.xfce4/panel/themes and DATADIR/panel/themes). It looks for a
number of predefined filenames (either .xpm or .png) that correspond to the
standard icons.

What do you think about that idea? Is it useful or should we just let users
choose their own icons. I think this scheme might make it easier for someone
to make XFce themes that combine panel icons, xfwm4 themes and gtk themes.

Greetings,
	Jasper