Problem running XFwm4

Ted Clark bison at visi.com
Mon Dec 9 16:56:13 CET 2002

Hello all,

This is a problem that I initially posted on the Source Forge XFce forum
because I was unable to access this site last week.

I have a clean base install of Debian Woody which I have dist-upgraded
to unstable.  I subsequently installed the base X window system via
apt-get along with the 20021117 CVS packages of xfwm4 and xfce4.  My
~/.xinitrc file looks like this:

xfwm4 &
sleep 2
exec xfce4

This gives me a dialog box that telling me that xfce4 needs a window
manager that supports extended window manager hints.  Execing an xterm
instead of xfce4 gives me an xterm window without a border, so it seems
that xfwm4 is not starting.

Diffing the output from 'dpkg -l' after installing xfwm4 and xfce4 looks
like this:

ii  defoma         0.11.1         Debian Font Manager -- automatic font
ii  dialog         0.9b-20020814- Displays user-friendly dialog boxes
ii  file           3.39-1         Determines file type using "magic"
ii  libatk1.0-0    1.0.3-2        The ATK accessibility library
ii  libdb4.0       4.0.14-1       Berkeley v4.0 Database Libraries
ii  libglib2.0-0   2.0.7-1        The GLib library of C routines
ii  libgtk-common  2.0.9-1        Empty package for upgrading
ii  libgtk2.0-0    2.0.9-1        The GTK+ graphical user interface
ii  libgtk2.0-comm 2.0.9-1        Common files for the GTK+ graphical
ii  libjpeg62      6b-6           The Independent JPEG Group's JPEG
ii  libpango-commo 1.0.5-3        Empty package for upgrading
ii  libpango1.0-0  1.0.5-3        Layout and rendering of
ii  libpango1.0-co 1.0.5-3        Modules and configuration files for
ii  libpng12-0     1.2.5-6        PNG library - runtime
ii  libtiff3g      3.5.7-1        Tag Image File Format library
ii  libxfcegui4-0  0.0.8+cvs.2002 Development files for libxfcegui4
ii  libxml2        2.4.28-1       GNOME XML library
ii  perl           5.8.0-14       Larry Wall's Practical Extraction and
ii  perl-modules   5.8.0-14       Core Perl modules.
ii  xfce4          4.0.0+cvs.2002 The Cholesterol Free Desktop
ii  xfwm4          4.0.0+cvs.2002 window manager of the XFce project

Any ideas on how I might proceed with this?  Am I missing a required
package?  I've been a Debian user for all of one week now, so I might be
doing something really dumb! :-)

Thanks,

TedC