Naming 'things' on the panel or lessons in English requested

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Wed Aug 21 04:22:27 CEST 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:50:43 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> This question is especially (but not exclusively) for the native
> English speakers among us.

Well, I don't speak any other language fluently, but I don't know if
that qualifies me as a 'native' speaker.

> Central part of the panel:
> - central panel
> - central console
> - that thing in the middle inside the frame with the four little
> buttons and the desktop switcher buttons

I like No 3 but why not 'central panel section' or even 'desktop
switcher' ?

> General name for things on the left/right panel
> - (panel) controls	# This feels a bit too technical
> - items
> - objects
> - buttons and other stuff

items is good.

> Different type of ... (the above)
> 1) icon button that launches a program
> - Icon button
> - launcher
> - normal item

I think launcher is good. The dynamic stuff may also have icons too.

> 2) dynamic stuff (clock, trash, mail, etc.), this is built in or
> external- Module
> - dynamic item
> - special object

why not 'plug-in' -- not as technical as "module" but gets the idea
across.

-- bots