Naming 'things' on the panel or lessons in English requested

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Aug 21 03:56:21 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 09:50, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> This question is especially (but not exclusively) for the native English
> speakers among us.

	While English is my "mother tongue", I'm not someone who would be best
at this.

> I sometimes find it difficult to correctly describe the things on the panel,
> specifically in the configuration dialogs.
>
> I have some problems with the following items (the first item in the list
> of examples is the one I use now):
>
> Central part of the panel:
> - central panel
> - central console
> - that thing in the middle inside the frame with the four little buttons and
>    the desktop switcher buttons

	The last one is good for me but I can see where it might be difficult
to code for.  I honestly can't think of a good name for this.  I wonder
what the name might be for them in CDE...  Might be worth look up as I
have a copy of the "real" CDE.

> General name for things on the left/right panel
> - (panel) controls	# This feels a bit too technical
> - items
> - objects
> - buttons and other stuff

	Items is more descriptive and objects is more accurate.

> For completeness sake, less important, because not visible in the GUI, but
> important for future documentation:
>
> Different type of ... (the above)
> 1) icon button that launches a program
> - Icon button
> - launcher
> - normal item
>
> 2) dynamic stuff (clock, trash, mail, etc.), this is built in or external
> - Module
> - dynamic item
> - special object
>
> Opinions will undoubtedly differ, but I'm interested in any ideas or
> preferences you may have.

	I'm afraid that all of this thinking is giving me a headache.  I'm
sorry I can't be of more help.

--
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation.
We have assumed control.