Xfce4 panel design/features

Jasper Huijsmans j.b.huijsmans at hetnet.nl
Sun Apr 7 14:50:59 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I've been thinking of trying to make a start with a gtk2 based panel.

Features I've been thinking of:
- Look as identical as possible to current panel
- Every icon is either a normal icon or a module; a
  module can udate dynamically (e.g. clock, trashcan,
  calendar, ppp connector).
- builtin (clock, trash, mailcheck) and external
  modules (to be written by someone else ;-)

Is this stupid? interesting? already done by someone else?

The second goal of this email is to generate some traffic on this list
;-)
Anybody have any progress to report?

I have a glib2 version of xfmenu. It's still using the old xfwm
configuration, since there is no new one yet, but the menu generation
and communication with xfwm are now strictly separated so it's easy to
change to any new system.
New features are prevention of duplicate entries and removal of empty
submenus. I also tried to use some g_utf8_* functions from glib, but
nothing extensive, since I don't fully understand this.
Should I put this in devel CVS or wait for more clarity on a menu
creation API for xfce4?

Greetings,
	Jasper