Question regarding libutempter support in xfce4-terminal

Gaël Bonithon trash.paradise at protonmail.com
Thu Sep 17 17:59:21 CEST 2026


No, this commit only affects the visibility of this option in the preferences dialog (it may have become a hidden option at that point, indeed). But this does not affect the code in `terminal/terminal-screen.c` and `terminal/terminal-widget.c`, which has not changed. If the `/command-update-records` (boolean) option is enabled in xfconf, and xfce4-terminal was built with libutempter support, it should still work.

Cheers,
Gaël

On Thursday, September 17th, 2026 at 4:46 AM, Takahiro YOSHIZAWA <kuro at takahiro.org> wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> My name is Takahiro.
> 
> I have a question regarding xfce4-terminal.
> I am currently using version 1.1.5,
> but I have also been looking at the latest source code on GitLab
> (https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal).
> 
> I noticed that meson_options.txt still provides an option to enable libutempter,
> but is this feature currently functional?
> 
> From what I have checked, commit 7c92d1c09515ef0960f09dbf9e9f604ca15074cf removed code
> related to command-update-records from terminal/terminal-preferences-dialog.c.
> Because of this, it appears that utempter_add_record() in terminal_screen_spawn_async_cb()
> (terminal/terminal-screen.c) might never be executed.
> 
> While running xfce4-terminal-1.1.5,
> I have been unable to determine under what conditions records are actually written to utmp/wtmp,
> and I would appreciate some clarification.
> 
> Thank you in advance for your help.
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Takahiro
> 
> 
> --
> Takahiro YOSHIZAWA
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Xfce mailing list
> Xfce at xfce.org
> https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce
> http://www.xfce.org
> 


More information about the Xfce mailing list