Xfce and Compiz on RHEL 9?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Mon Jan 22 23:01:20 CET 2024

On 1/22/24 13:43, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Compiz is an X11 window and compositor manager, just like xfwm4, the
> xfce window manager.
>
> You do not need to build xfce "for" compiz, all you need to do is to
> replace xfwm4 with Compiz in your session.
>
> As you already pointed out, this can be usually achieved by running
> "compiz --replace &" from a terminal while your session is running, and
> saving your session at logout so that compiz is started automatically at
> the next login.
>
> If compiz locks up your session, I can only assume this is a compiz or a
> driver issue (Mesa, assuming you're not using the NVIDIA proprietary
> driver), nothing to do with xfce itself.
>
> HTH,
> Cheers,
> Olivier

Thanks a bunch for the quick response and the education, Olivier.

I played around some more, got ccsm and fusion-icon installed, and it
seems to be a *little* better. At least the desktop doesn't lock up.

But every time I close a window, fusion-icon dies. I have to run
fusion-icon again.

I'll keep banging on it.

Thomas