thunar archive dialogue box new look

omui omui at protonmail.com
Thu Apr 4 22:50:23 CEST 2024

Hi there,

Speaking of the new version of file-roller (v44), I noticed how it may now incur an extra step.

Steps to reproduce:

- in thunar, right-click any file,
- select "Create Archive..."
- proceed without modifying the filename

What happens:

- by default, the dialogue will report: "a file named 'xyz' already exists, do you want to replace it?"
- if you ignore it and click "Replace", it won't be able to do it
- the workaround is to manually edit the filename, which now results in an extra step

What's expected (or desired):
- No requirement to manually edit the original filename, in order to proceed (like the previous versions).

In the previous versions, this won't happen as an extension (such as .zip) is not yet determined;
now with the new file-roller, the 1st dialogue is still asking for just the filename, so one has to manually enter the extension (or remove it).
One also has to decide at this stage which compression method is to be used, which may not always be desired.

My final workaround is to remove file-roller entirely and install engrampa instead, which still works beautifully.

Best regards,

omui

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.