Conflict between xfce4-screensaver and xfce4-power-manager-settings?

Mark Mielke mark.mielke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 06:36:50 CEST 2023

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 5:58 PM <Alain.Cochard at unistra.fr> wrote:

> Well, maybe "conflict" is not a proper term.
>
> I had unchecked the "Lock screen when system is going to sleep" button
> in xfce4-power-manager-settings|System.  It was working fine.
>
> At some later time, I installed xfce4-screensaver.  It was not
> explicit and was together with many other packages, so it took me time
> to realize why my screen got locked after some time of inactivity --
> this seems to be the default of this screensaver.
>
> Perhaps the above mentioned button should be unusable when
> xfce4-screensaver is around?

There is more than one way to start the screen saver. The power manager
setting affects "when system is going to sleep". It doesn't affect the
other reasons, such as "screen saver activated". I think there is no
problem? If you don't want the screen to unlock, you would have to turn off
all triggers for "lock screen".

If you wanted a global setting "never lock screen", that would be something
else. Perhaps by removing the packages that implement "lock screen"...

--
Mark Mielke <mark.mielke at gmail.com>