Zaphod mode (dual head) with Xfce 4.16?

Ulli Horlacher framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Mar 11 21:39:57 CET 2023

On Mon 2023-03-06 (14:23), Ulli Horlacher wrote:

> I found a solution (for xorg Zaphod mode): lxpanel
> It looks similar to the Xfce panel, but is completly independent.
> It has its wown workspace switcher and it works!
>
> I am still looking for way to add a generic application starter applet
> like the Xfce Launcher.

It looks this is not possible with just lxpanel without the complete LXDE
desktop environment.

But I found a workaround:
I reduce the width of lxpanel to 95% and place in the most right lower
corner a xbutton with:

framstag at wux:~: ./xbutton.pl -0-0 xxterm

framstag at wux:~: cat xbutton.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Tk;

$prg = $0;
$prg =~ s:.*/::;

$usage =
  "usage: $prg X11-GEOMETRY COMMAND [ARGS]\n".
  "example: $prg -0+0 xterm\n";

$xg = shift @ARGV or die $usage;
$cmd = $ARGV[0] or die $usage;
@cmd = grep { shellquote($_) } @ARGV;

$mw = Tk::MainWindow->new();
$mw->geometry($xg);
$mw->overrideredirect(1);
$mw->Button(
  -text => $cmd,
  -command => sub { system "@cmd &" },
)->pack();
$mw->MainLoop();

sub shellquote {
  local $_ = shift;
  return $_;
}

--
Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
Rechenzentrum TIK
Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    https://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
REF:<20230306132318.GA27433 at tik.uni-stuttgart.de>