Zaphod mode (dual head) with Xfce 4.16?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Mar 7 19:46:23 CET 2023

On Tue, 2023-03-07 at 12:36 -0500, Matt Connell wrote:
> upstart (which was hailed as the successor once
> upon a time)

Hi,

AFAIK, only Ubuntu variants and probably Ubuntu-based distros migrated
to upstart first, almost all other distros migrated directly from
sysvinit to systemd. Nowadays, one or the other distribution that has
decided to only support systemd, that once made it more or less
impossible for users to maintain an alternative init system now still
only offers systemd, but is ready to allow users to maintain an
alternative init system. IOW systemd still rules, but no one denies
anymore that there are more than niche cases that systemd doesn't cover.
However, the fact that systemd is not the holy grail has been ignored
for a very long time.

I think we need to be even more flexible when it comes to moving from
one distribution to another and/or to drop one or the other "farmework"
entirely. For me it isn't hard to drop GTK apps that are rendered
useless by an idiotic GUI. It's hard to stand that useful apps aren't
useful anymore, just because a clear design is replaced by clumsy cave
painting, but when a former excellent modern tool is crippled into a
Stone Age hand ax, then it makes more sense to switch to a less good,
slightly older tool of the present day than to reach for that Stone Age
hand ax. I was in favour of meld. I dislike kdiff3. Since meld isn't
meld anymore, I try to get used to mcdiff.

Regards,
Ralf