Tip: xfce4-notifyd not rearranging annoyance workaround

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Tue Jun 27 09:57:58 CEST 2023

Hi All,

A booboo in my first post:

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/-/issues/154

is a duplicate of

https://gitlab.xfce.org/xfce/xfdesktop/-/issues/54

The maintainer closed issue 54 as leaving pops
where they occurred and not auto arranging them
is part of xfce4-notifyd's design spec..

So now you have a choice.  If when multiple pops
occur -- some right in the middle of your
work -- and you do not mind having them not
auto arrange out of the way, you can stick
with xfce4-notifyd.  xfce4-notifyd's popups
are prettier too.

I have been running without xfce4-notifyd for
a few days now and am delighted to have
libnotify's auto arrange feature back.

I have also noticed that a popup I have been
firing off for about five years now at log
on and forgot about suddenly showed up.

I reported the issue over on

https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-notifyd/-/issues/106

but the maintainer closed it because it was no
longer affecting me.  (I reported it to help
others still running xfce4-notifyd.  I am not
the only one running Xfce after all.)

The call to libnotify in question was:

notify-send -t 0 -u normal -i "${DrivePic}" "Boot Drive" "${BootDrive}"

Let me know if anyone wants the entire script (it is
also posted over on issue 106).

You got to love Xfce!

-T

Be nice if we could amend xfce4-notifyd's spec.
to accommodate auto arrange.