Feature: fix borders for misbehaving applications

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:24:51 CEST 2022

On Thu, 20 Oct 2022 at 17:41, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult <
lkml at metux.net> wrote:

> On 20.10.22 16:58, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
> >     So the will of some corporations like Microsoft counts a lot more to
> you
> >     than the user's will ?
> >

> > Who writes or publishes the application is irrelevant.
>
> It becomes relevant as soon as the user has no chance to get it fixed.

Then they can choose another application, preferably an open source one
that they can modify and fix to their needs. There is always the choice.

>     And users should not have the freedom to get a consistent UI ?
> >
> > I am saying that if there is a bug in an application, the application
> > should be fixed,
>
> Right, it *should*. But that just won't happen.
>
> But as it sounds that you're in possession of the wisdom how to fix
> those rogue applications, please share it with us.

I do not know what makes you think this.

> > rather than adding tons of code in the WM to work
> > around whatever applications do.
>
> Tons of code ?! It's two lines of actual code, one if(...) and one
> FLAG_SET(..), plus 2 just for the code nice formatting.
>
> Did you ever *actually* *read* my patch ?

I happen to have, yes.

It's a patch within a 11 commit merge request, so yeah, it is a lot of code!

>     And you don't like users being able to move around windows of hanging
> >     applications easily ?
> >
> > /me shrugs and moves on.
>
> Indeed an actual real world problem. Formerly just a typical MS-Windows
> only problem (since X window managers aren't blocked by misbehaving
> clients) - with CSD this class of problems was now introduced into the
> Unix / X11 world.

Oh, so your rant is actually about client side decorations?

I'm afraid you're barking after the wrong tree here, CSD is there already
and it's not going to go away regardless of whatever xfce does.

Really, discussions about CSD are a dead end here.

Cheers
Olivier