thunar: bind sendto action to shortcut key?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Oct 2 22:35:02 CEST 2022

On Sun, 2022-10-02 at 19:43 +0200, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> On Sun 2022-10-02 (12:57), Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > > I have created a "sendto" custom action for thunar [...]
> > > I can call it with [right mouse button] -> "Send To" -> "fexmail"
> > >
> > > (How) can I bind it to a shortcut key, e.g. [Ctrl] F ?
> > >

> > https://docs.xfce.org/4.16/faq#how_to_configure_shortcutshotkeysmenu_accelerators
>
> "A number of Xfce applications (Thunar, for example) support the standard
>  GTK2 way of changing shortcuts: simply hover over the menu option with the
>  mouse pointer and press the keyboard shortcut you want to rebind it to."
>
> When I do this (pressing [Ctrl] F over "fexmail" menu entry), nothing
> happens.
>
> BTW: this is thunar 1.6.15

Hi,

I mentioned running from pillar to post, since "This functionality has
been disabled since GTK3 which means that Xfce apps that have migrated
to GTK3 (such as xfce4-terminal) do not support it.
Refer to specific app's documentation to learn how to configure its
shortcuts." The Thunar documentation is outdated since Thunar usually is
one of those GTK3 apps.

>From my Arch Linux install's log file:

[2018-04-06[...]] upgraded thunar (1.6.14-1 -> 1.6.15-1)
[2022-04-30[...]] upgraded thunar (4.16.11-1 -> 4.16.11-2)

Your version is quite old. If Thunar 1.6.15 still should be a GTK2 app,
then did you enable gtk-can-change-accels depending on your not
necessarily Xfce4 environment?

"If the shortcut doesn't change, then you need to enable the feature in
GTK+. This can be achieved in 3 ways:

- If you are running the Xfce desktop environment, enable Editable menu
  accelerators in the User Interface Preferences dialog.
- If you are running GNOME then you can enable Editable menu
  accelerators in the Menu and Toolbars control center dialog.
- Otherwise put the following in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file (create the file
  if it doesn't exist):
  gtk-can-change-accels=1

When xfsettingsd is running you must change the setting with the Xfce
GUI, not through the .gtkrc-2.0 file."

In August you mentioned that you "have a new install of Mint 21 with
Xfce (4.16)",
https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce/2022-August/037636.html .

If so, then even if you should be able to edit the key shortcut for
Thunar 1.6.15, you won't be able to do it for Thunar 4.16 anymore, since
this is a GTK3 version of Thunar.

Good luck with building the mentioned Thunar 1.17 branch against
dependencies from your Ubuntu based release model distro. Maybe you will
try a flatpak or snap of Thunar 1.17, to suffer from issues related to
the containerisation, which is another way to run from pillar to post.

There are no issues when migrating from SpaceFM GTK2 to SpaceFM GTK3. If
you should use both versions, one on your old and the other on your new
install, then both versions of SpaceFM are working identically and
depending on the used theme, they look nearly identically, too. However,
there are not many themes available that look nearly identically by
their GTK2 and GTK3 version.

Regards,
Ralf